Cost of Participation
To help defray the cost of dues, it is necessary to conduct fundraising projects each year to supply the Troop, and to help offset Scout outing expenses. We are open to all ideas for funding our Boy Scout related activities and the Troop’s ongoing projects
Through Fundraising, Scouts are able to earn money kept in their "Scout Accounts" which can be applied to trips, outings, etc. This is a great way for Scouts to contribute to their own Scouting experience.
Scouting is not without cost, but we do not discourage any boy from joining because he cannot afford our program. If your present situation falls under these circumstances, or you would like to recommend for membership a boy who may need some degree of assistance, please contact the Scoutmaster or Committee Chairperson so that efforts can be made to arrange a sponsor.
Friends of Scouting
There is an annual Fundraising Campaign called Friends of Scouting that does amazing and wonderful things for the BSA and its charitable outreach. While not a requirement, we do have a goal of 100% family participation in this campaign at whatever contribution level is appropriate for you.
Troop Dues and Recurring Expenses
Troop dues are set each year and are payable in or around October. The dues year runs from January through December. A subscription to Boy’s Life magazine is included in registration. It is intended that dues will cover all or substantially all the Troop operating expenses, including annual registration and awards, but they are not intended to cover any outing expenses.
- Scouts - $150
- Siblings - $150
- Adults - $35
- Eagle Scouts - $0
- Crossover Webelos - Prorated based on start date
- 11 monthly weekend outings: $25 - $75 per outing
- Summer Camp (One week): $350
- Larger trips such as High Adventure: varies by trip and airfare, accommodations, etc.
Approximate Uniform and Equipment Costs
Scout uniforms can be purchased online at ScoutShop.org or at the Scout Shop, located in the Atlanta Area Council Volunteer Service Center at 1800 Circle 75 Parkway Atlanta 30339. Camping equipment is available at the Scout Shop or various camping supply stores (some camping equipment may be rented from REI), both local and on-line. A Scout is thrifty, so shop around to get the best price! The Boy Scout Handbook is also an excellent source of information for equipment needs.
Troop Provided Items:
- Troop 431 neckerchief
- Neckerchief slide (black Turk’s head knot woggle),
- Troop 431-unit patch,
- Boy Scout Handbook
Cub Scout Arrow of Light recipients will receive these items at the final Cub Pack meeting or Crossover. Other New Scouts will receive these items at our next regular Troop Meeting or Court of Honor.
Troop Inventory and Gear Loans:
The Troop has a supply of gently used uniforms and camping equipment available to Troop families. Tents are provided for most outings. If your family does not immediately have certain gear (sleeping bags, etc.), please ask and the Troop or current members will be happy to loan equipment to you.
Field Uniform and Basic Requirements:
(Troop provided items are indicated with an asterisk)
From the Scout Store or online at Scoutshop.com:
- *Scout Handbook (Replacement) > $10-17
- Long or short-sleeve khaki Scout shirt > $25-50
- Scout pants (convertible to shorts) > $35-50
- Scout socks > $15
- Web belt with BSA buckle > $11-13
- Required Uniform Patches (Patrol patch, World Crest and shoulder loops)* > $5-10
From the Troop:
- Troop t-shirt > $10
- Troop neckerchief (Replacement) > $TBD
- Neckerchief slide (Replacement) > $TBD
Basic Camping Equipment: Estimated $126 and Up
- Compass > $14 - $50
- Flashlight or headlamp > $5 - $20
- Personal first aid kit > $5
- Whistle > $2 - $5
- Sleeping bag > $25 - 300 (determining price factors are weight and temperature rating)
- Ground pad (1/2 inch) > $10-$50
- Rain suit > $10 - $100
- Mess kit (plate, bowl, cup, utensils) > $5 - $20
- Water bottle or canteen $5 - $20
- Backpack > $25 - $300
- Knife > $10 - $30
- Rope > $10
- Lockable Storage Locker for Summer Camp > $20-40 (example: Contico Brand Lockers available online at WalMart, Home Depot, etc.)
Online Stores and Uniform Guidelines
Scout Stuff - The Official BSA retail store
Campmor - Camping equipment at great prices. Ships fast.
Scout Uniform Inspection Form - Scout Uniform Inspection Form and Badge/patch placement guide
Adult Scout Uniform Inspection Form - Adult Uniform Inspection Form and patch placement guide
Coleman Non-Profit - Sign up for non-profit discount from Coleman
Hiker Direct - ALPS Mountaineering Discount Facebook Page. Has link to register with ALPS